What are you doing to prepare the second exam?

Temas relacionados con el examen de inglés
Cerrado
agustin_pitufo
PreparaTIC XVIII
Agradecimiento recibido: 0

What are you doing to prepare the second exam?

Mensaje por agustin_pitufo »

What activities do you find the most interesting to prepare the exam?

In my case, I try to:
- Translate the texts provided in Preparatic's CD.
- Go to English classes to improve my oral English.
- Watch American TV series or listen to radio reports.
- Retraining myself using a method I downloaded (¿with eMule?).
- Writing post in Preparatic :D

Any other idea?

Niro
Usuario registrado

Mensaje por Niro »

Get yourself a saxon boyfriend/girlfriend (hurry up!). That's the straightforward approach to get past the 2nd.

elaveriao
Usuario registrado

Mensaje por elaveriao »

I want to share my ideas although it may seem very basic for those of you with a more advanced English level.

+Podcasts (BussinesEnglisPod and ESLPod) while commuting.

+A Preparatic text once a day with real time constraints (30 minutes), reading it (in Spanish) afterwards. Also I highlight the words I find more difficult translating and try to find synonyms. I write down those words and I'm compiling a list.

+I've discovered also a TDT channel in Madrid (something about Vaughan). I don't particularly like the style (the "ask me XXX", if you know what I mean), but for me it's useful.

+I've found a livecast in Skype, but I haven't managed to participate. Maybe there should be one Prepartic livecast. If I manage to pass the com

+I have 7 seasons of "The West wing", and I recommend it because it covers many, many different topics. Unfortunately, they speak a bit fast for my level.

+And of course, watching Disney and Barbie movies in English with my daughters, and Jane Austen's films with my wife. It may seem a funny comment (and in a way it is), but for those of you with family, it could be interesting.

Also, I think that the next Preparatic session is about tips on preparing the exam.

elaveriao
Usuario registrado

Mensaje por elaveriao »

A Preparatic text once a day with real time constraints
I hope I did explain what I meant. But, do you think "real" is the correct word? Should I have said "actual"? Any experts?[/quote]

agustin_pitufo
PreparaTIC XVIII

elaveriao escribió:
A Preparatic text once a day with real time constraints
I hope I did explain what I meant. But, do you think "real" is the correct word? Should I have said "actual"? Any experts?
[/quote]

I think real could be used but it's far v better to use actual.

If you want to listen to English reports, I suggest you visiting npr.org.

Niro
Usuario registrado

Mensaje por Niro »

Real is perfect in that sentence.

Niro
Usuario registrado

Mensaje por Niro »

In my opinion, the problem with the english exam is twofold:

1. In first place, the short time allocated to the translation. This first part is overall down to your handwriting speed. Take into account that you are probably not used to write too much any more, and that DOES show up. In my opinion speed, not knowledge is THE limitating factor in this phase.

2. In second place, unless you are using spoken english every day, you will be very close to collapse during the conversation. That is because your heart beat will go up like prices, your breathing will turn more difficult and your brain will be under strain.

No matter what your level is, unless your are speaking and writing on a frequent basis you'll experience trouble.

Last year I run through these problems and my performance was way below what I had expected (I nearly choked during the conversation because the right word would not come to my mind under stress).

The good part is that (nearly) everybody faces the same problems...

AXiS
PreparaTIC XVIII

Mensaje por AXiS »

Juer, qué nivelazo tienes Niro, qué riqueza de vocabulario... (lo digo en serio :wink:).

agustin_pitufo
PreparaTIC XVIII

AXiS_ escribió:Juer, qué nivelazo tienes Niro, qué riqueza de vocabulario... (lo digo en serio :wink:).
You should be writing in English :twisted:

:wink:

AXiS
PreparaTIC XVIII

Mensaje por AXiS »

agustin_pitufo escribió:
AXiS_ escribió:Juer, qué nivelazo tienes Niro, qué riqueza de vocabulario... (lo digo en serio :wink:).
You should be writing in English :twisted:

:wink:
I know, I know, but the problem was that it was difficult for me to say in English "Juer, qué nivelazo" in the same way, with the same intensity... :D

I hope you forgive me... :wink:

manolon
Usuario registrado

Mensaje por manolon »

Niro escribió:Last year I run through these problems and my performance was way below what I had expected (I nearly choked during the conversation because the right word would not come to my mind under stress).

The good part is that (nearly) everybody faces the same problems...
I agree with you, Niro. I don't have personal experience in the second test, but in the last year process I attended to one of the public sessions. In my opinion, most of the "candidates" would have done better if they were not as much nervous as they were.

I don't think I have a great English level, but fortunately I am used to speak English in my current job and I hope not to be nervous at all.

Cerrado

Volver a “SEGUNDO EXAMEN 2008”